Learning-focused Conversation
I had the privilege of being paired with Kelly Ahlfeld for our learning-focused conversation. It was a very encouraging experience.
We decided to use the problem-solving conversation template from Lipton (p.32), which turned out to be an effective way to get things started. All Kelly had to say was, "What are some concerns you would like to discuss?" and we were off and running.
I outlined my concerns about being able to get books in students' hand this fall and how to make sure that all students have equal access to materials. After paraphrasing my issues and confirming that she had some of the same worries, Kelly suggested using a recent VSLA document as a third point to guide our discussion. The document outlines some recommendations for library practices during the pandemic. We also thought the Include section from the AASL standards might be useful in this regard
It was empowering to talk to someone whose experience so parallels my own. Not only was Kelly able to hone in on my concerns, but by finding echoes in her own experience, she made me feel supported and understood. I think the value of this can't be overstated.
The structured conversation also had other benefits: It forced me to clarify my concerns by stating and restating the problem; it prompted me to examine some ways I was already making progress in this area; and it guided me to some concrete action steps.
For example, after Kelly asked me if I had done anything to improve delivery of materials, I realized that our new library software will have some capabilities to make that easier. Also, we have recently purchased Overdrive for our library, which should make some content more readily available to students, all of whom have Chromebooks. We also discussed curbside service and the possibility of delivering materials to classrooms. The VSLA document addresses how to make sure library materials are safe and we discussed ways to manage quarantining and checking in materials.
The Include standards offered some guidelines on promoting the use of high-quality literature in formats that reflect diverse developmental, cultural, social and linguistic needs of learners. Kelly and I brainstormed ideas on how to promote materials to students and staff, such as video tutorials, e-mail blasts, and personal e-mails to specific teachers. Kelly also recommended surveying students and staff about how they are getting their books now and using it as a jumping-off point to talk to them about our resources.
I found this exercise really helpful. It was all well and good to read about learning-focused conversations and ideas like pausing and paraphrasing and using third-point documents, but putting it in practice seemed a little daunting. In reality, it was energizing and effective and will be a good tool for future conversations with new librarians.
Wow, what a reflection! Problem solving is a terrific way to start a conversation, especially in these uncertain times. You have given a really important example for effective sharing of concerns that not only a new school librarian might have, but for all of us who are faced with the same dilemma. It seems as if you have both contributed to finding some possible solutions to explore to make the library resources more accessible as we start the new school year. I can imagine that this conversation will have some carryover as you and Kelly both have some fine ideas that can be followed up in the fall. I'm glad that Kelly brought up the VSLA starting school doc that was crafted last week. This will be helpful for all our members-wish they could hear your conversation!
ReplyDeleteYou are so right-reading is one thing, doing is another-John Dewey-learn by doing...
Thanks for sharing this powerful work!
Judy
You and Kelly did some wonderful work here: I can see the shifting between coaching and collaborative stances...did either of you make a mental note as to when that sort of thing was happening? It seems so obvious when we watch and read after the fact, but were those conscious choices or just a natural flow to the conversation?
ReplyDelete