Domains in the Danielson Framework

    This was my first experience with the Danielson Framework. The concept of domains seems like a useful way to think about my job and responsibilities. I am especially interested in Domain 2, specifically how the library can create that all-important environment of respect and rapport.
     I like to think that our library is a welcoming place and in general -- but not always -- our staff is respectful and polite in their interactions with students. We do try to greet every student that comes in and take a moment to check in with them. 
    We let students know that we acknowledge and value their backgrounds by making sure their stories are reflected in our collection. I think I do need to do a better job of displaying and publicizing those stories.
    The one area that remains a constant struggle for me is how to convey to students that books and reading are important. As passionate as I am about this, I have not been able to make real strides in getting the message across.    

Questions:
    What are some ways to encourage student inquiry and a lifelong passion for learning? 
    How does an environment demonstrate or show fairness?

Final thought: 
    I'm wondering what an environment of respect and rapport looks like in distance learning.


Comments

  1. Marilee, thanks for your comments on Danielson. I was wondering about a high school perspective and I agree that distance learning brings a whole new angle to that environment question -- how to build it. When whole staffs of TV shows can't really re-create the excitement of a late night talk show from home, I think it's a challenge to create a welcoming, exciting space virtually. I am so grateful to work with professionals like you who care about honoring every student and their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilee, I appreciated these thoughts from someone new to Danielson! As you are learning, the teaching parts of the framework are domains 2 and 3. 1 and 4, however are critical, just less observable, for 2 and 3 to thrive. You are correct in that creating an environment that reflects respect and rapport is a cornerstone to so many other elements in the framework! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, I can't remember, are you a high school teacher, and if so do you have any TIME with students (beyond those casual browsers)? I am also frustrated with lack of access to the older kids in my preK-12 libraries. No matter how peppy your bulletin boards, or bright your welcoming smile, there's no communicating your passion for books and reading if you don't ever see students (physically, or in some virtual platform). I know some people have a battle of the books at assembly, or fired-up extracurricular book clubs, but I am still looking for a connection opportunity with those 9-12s. Sometimes I "push-in" to an allied teacher's classroom for a special project, but those teachers have all retired in the last 5 years and I'm not having success recruiting new ones. Especially as we go remote, library visibility and opportunity seem harder and harder... Sorry this is a downer comment! I just feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Respect and rapport in distance learning is SO tricky! I think it is going to be very difficult to establish rapport with new students, but I feel pretty confident about maintaining a good rapport with students who I've already developed a relationship with. I know it is much harder to connect with students at the the high school level. My best success with that was in making the library a welcoming but purposeful place, and just really connecting with a single student at a time - talking about life interests outside of school. This is also the best reader's advisory tool I know of...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like Rochelle's comment about connecting with high school interests outside of school as a way into creating relationships. I have seen a couple of examples that might translate to remote learning. A few years ago, as Essex High School, I observed a group of students who had a mutual interest around cartooning and anime. That interest was encouraged by one of the library staff who also was a buff. They found a mutual time to meet and share their love for the medium. Maybe Jill Abair can add something about this. She may have been on the staff then. I think this could happen through Meet or Zoom.
    When I was visiting CVU High School, I observed a student who needed the help of a librarian for some advanced journals about a topic of personal interest. It was amazing clear that a sense of trust had been established that the librarian was a link between that student and the need for knowledge on a particular topic. It seems to be a natural fit for students working on Capstone projects. Of course that is an opportunity for librarians to collaborate with teacher advisors.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment