Domain 3 Observation

    For my Observation Performance Task I chose to watch a session called "Analyzing American Literature Through Fishbowl Discussion."  I was especially interested to view it through the lens of Danielson Domain 3b: Using Questioning and Discussion Techniques.
    It was fascinating. 
    The book was "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald. The format was a Socratic seminar using a technique the teacher called "Fishbowl Discussion," which entailed both a careful arrangement of classroom chairs and a structured points system for participation. 
    Chairs were arranged in two concentric circles with the interior circle for discussion participants and the outer ring for the audience. Student from the outer ring could tap in at any time to switch places with a discussion student.
    Students were to come prepared with at least eight discussion questions. Once in the inner circle, they received 1 point for each question they raised, 2 points for each discussion question they answered, and 3 points for answering a question with evidence from the test. No student could get more than 20 points, which was a way to ensure that no student could monopolize the discussion.
    I thought this teacher met all the criteria for Distinguished level according to the Danielson rubric. The students initiated higher-order questions, invited and responded well to comments and challenges from their peers, and almost all students participated in the discussion. It was pretty impressive.
    I thought the planning and execution were exceptional. The format was entertaining and engaging and encouraged everyone to participate. The teacher was an adept facilitator and his attempts at humor kept things on an upbeat tone. I'm going to try to emulate this format in book club discussions (as soon as I get the chance).
    I watched the video twice and took notes the second time through. Here's what I saw:
   -- The questions were wide-ranging and some were very in-depth. For example, one student asked how East and West Egg in the novel could correspond to East and West America in terms of character and social status.
    -- Students often asked each other clarifying questions. For example, one student asked another if he thought the character of Nick was judgmental or just categorizing people. 
    -- The responses were generally thoughtful and students were unafraid to share their opinions. Several students used examples from the text.
    -- On three occasions the teacher chimed in to clarify or ask for more information. During one of those I felt that he provided a distraction, but in general he gently urged students forward,  for example, asking a student to answer her own question when no-one else spoke up. Overall I thought it was a hugely successful session. I also loved seeing students discuss literature again -- it felt like a cool drink of water after a drought.
    After some thought, I've come to see that I think Domain 3, Instruction, is the most critical domain, which is interesting since I do not do much direct instruction in my library. I think instruction has the most potential to impact a student and I've witnessed what happens when instruction is both good or bad. However, as a high school librarian, I don't teach many classes. Occasionally I will do database tutorials or  library introductions, but in general I help students and staff identify and locate the materials they need, whether in print or online.  While I have many discussions about literature and ideas, it's typically one-to-one and on the fly, with the possible exception of my monthly book club.
    So really, for me, Domain 2, The Classroom Environment, is really more relevant. I think as a librarian I can make choices that enhance the environment of respect and rapport, particularly in my choices of materials and displays, making sure everyone's story is represented. I can arrange the space and furniture to ensure safety and access for all. I can set clear expectations for student behavior and, above all, I can set a tone of kindness and respect for everyone.
     

Comments

  1. Your description of the observation is very detailed and complete. I can see why you would need to watch the video twice. First time-just to enjoy, second time to take notes. It seems as this example was really a good choice for you. The Socratic seminar is a wonderful model for engaging students in deep thinking, and also in supporting ideas with facts and research findings. It does take practice for the students to be proficient, and you have shared that the teacher allowed the students to lead the discussion-a tribute to good teaching! The fish bowl technique could provide an alternative in your book groups. There's lots of good ideas out there, so dig in!
    I agree that the library learning environment is a critical for providing a safe "third" space for the range of learners in your school. In visiting other school 7-12 school libraries, I noticed that the space was used differently by middle schoolers and high schoolers. What have you found in your school library?
    Thanks for your enthusiastic sharing.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At my school, middle schoolers seem to come to the library primarily for pleasure reading, whereas high school students use it more for research and study needs. High school students definitely check out fewer fiction titles than middle school students do. When I've asked about this, high school say they don't have time to read or they're reading fanfiction or other things online. Last year I began to worry that the collection didn't accurately reflect their stories and made a concerted effort to make the collection more diverse. We'll see what impact that had.
      Thanks for helping me think more about this.

      Delete

Post a Comment